Friday 12 September 2008

I am working in the West End today. There is something very civilized about the West End compared to the City. The first being no one shows up until at least 9am. I have to be to work at 8am but it means that there is a quiet hour for you to get yourself together and get ready for the day. There is also a softness to the West End that the City lacks, some of it is the architecture some of it is just the fact that no one seems to be rushing around like a chicken with their head cut off, I enjoy the slower pace now and again. The best part is I am a five minute walk from Regent street and Oxford street, the shopping Mecca of London. There is nothing I can't get. This however is bad for my bank balance so I try not to let myself get swept away.



I fed the freezer last night. Earlier this week I made the most yummy carrot and tarragon soup. It was everything I never knew I wanted. Not being a great lover of carrots I was a little dubious but tarragon holds a joint first place as my favorite herb with cilantro so I thought I would give it a try. It was a great success and Mr. Y in E enjoyed it as well. It is also very cheap since there are only four ingredients carrots, onions, chicken stock(I use Knorr stock cubes, I know I know I am going to foodie hell but like I have to time to make stock from scratch) and tarragon. For my double batch that I made last night to feed the freezer the cost broke down like this.



1KG carrots .68p (could have purchased two kilos for £1.00 but what the heck would I do with all of them)

2 onions .35p

Tarragon .79p (I used the same bunch that I had purchased for the original trial run)

Stock Cubes .50p (this was the cost for the amount I used not the package of 8)



So anyone doing the math(or maths if your British) in you head that comes to a whoping £2.61 if you count all of the tarragon which I did because I am unlikely to find a use for it before it goes bad so there will be wastage. This made seven portions so that is a .37p a portion. Added to the cost was a one off £2.oo for the 8 containers I purchased to store it in. Even with the container cost figured in it still only comes to .66p per portion, not half bad. Next weeks freezer feeding project is curried butternut squash soup. Viva la Freezer.



Plans for the weekend



So what very exciting things is Y in E up to this weekend you ask. Well first there is the pile of laundry that has taken over the whole house since I was away last weekend. Then there is the weekly trip to the high street to run errands, no matter how I try I end up there almost every weekend. If that is not enough fun there is always housework because short of getting a maid I have not found a way to have a clean house without doing house work. When all of my chores are done I need to design my MIL birthday card and get her present all wrapped for her party next week. Yup I know I have a fun and exciting life and you are all envious.

No comments: