Monday 6 October 2008

Going with the flow can be good

So it never ceases to amaze me how slow the ticket guy at my train station is. I know I should be more compassionate as he is from a time long before computers but my god it took me ten minutes to get my monthly ticket today, it normally takes me two when the other guy it there. Not only that but it comes with more chit chat than I care to have with a relative stranger at 5:55 am. Normally I get my ticket the weekend before it expires but alas this weekend it was raining and I forgot so I had to deal with slow poke.



I did something very un Y in E a few weeks ago and have been meaning to blog about it since then but have not had the time to sit still long enough to do so. Thursday before last I was out smoking a cigarette and contemplating my life in general. I would like to point out that even though I am polluting my lungs I am trying to have something positive come out of it. Anyways as I sat there pondering my life and the direction it was taking I decided that I did not want to be a corporate receptionist for the rest of my life. Not that there was anything wrong with being a corporate receptionist it works very well for what I need right now but I don't see it working in the future. Not the next year future but maybe in the 3-5 year future. This lead me to contemplate what I did want to do in the future. I came back to a thought I have had for the last 4-5 years of being a sign language interpreter. I had done and ASL course before I came to England and really enjoyed it, however when the move to England became permanent the problem became I no longer signed the right language. So as I finished my ciggie I decided to go back in and find out what I needed to do to get qualified in sign language interpreting. In the process I came across a class in my area called up the college and with in 20 minutes of my ciggie I was enrolled in BSL I which is a whole year course over hear in the UK. The following Monday I payed my dues (surprisingly cheap compared to tuition in the US) and started the class.



You might be asking yourself why this is so un Y in E. Well for anyone who does not know me very well I will tell you. Normally when I make a decision more important than what I am going to eat for dinner I think about it for a few weeks, then I research everything to do with it for a few more weeks, then I come up with a plan in my head and discuss it with Mr. Y in E or someone else who I trust to give me good advice, then I think about it some more. I really hate making snap decisions if it can be helped, I want to be able to figure out as best as possible what effect each major decision will have on my life, the life of those I care about, and my finances. So yeah I didn't really have the money to take the class but I stuck it on my credit card and payed half off this month and will pay the other half off next month. I don't like doing that as I had just cleared my credit card and only wanted to use it for emergencies but really if having£150 on my credit card for a month is the most sinful thing I do right now then so be it. It has caused no other serious financial burden than the interest that £150 will incur and I know I can pay it off.



There are benefits for me beyond the fact that I love learning and that is when I tend to keep myself busy at an optimal level I am more productive. When I am bored I tend not to get stuff done that I need to, however if I have planned activities I get the small stuff done better because I know that on certain days or times I won't be able to do it.

No comments: